Page 8 - Bulletin 11 2007
P. 8

5





                                The  importance  of  the  object  for  which  they  have  wrought  is  fully
                         commensurate with the difficulty of its achievement, and the result is one of which
                         they may well be proud.
                                I have much pleasure in declaring the dock open.

                                                        After the Ceremony
                                                             ________

                                A luncheon party was given at Admiralty House, at which 20 guests were
                         present  comprising  the  Royal  party,  the  Governor-General  and  Lady  Gladstone,
                         Lord  Methuen,  General  Scobell,  and  the  Archbishop  and  Mrs  Carter.  The  Union
                         Ministry was represented by General Smuts, in the absence of General Botha and
                         Mrs Botha, who were prevented by the Premier’s illness from attending.
                                About 200 people attended the luncheon at the new Dockyard, given by Sir
                         John Jackson, whose health was proposed by Sir John Buchanan.
                                A garden party was held this afternoon at Admiralty House, for which 1,500
                         invitations had been issued. Music was provided by the bands of H.M.S. Defence
                         and Hermes.
                                The survey ship, Mutine, entered the new Dock during the afternoon.
                                A  magnificent  gold  casket  containing  a  picture  of  the  new  works  was
                         presented to His Royal Highness in the course of the day’s ceremonial.


                        During this time, too, the coastal defences of Simon’s Town were strengthened: two
                         9.2” guns were installed at Noah’s Ark Battery (near Seaforth) and one at Upper

                         North  Battery  (towards  Glencairn),  four  6”  guns  at  Upper  North  and  Queen’s

                         Batteries; other lighter mobile guns were capable of being moved between Queen’s
                         and Lower North Batteries. (Bisset, unpub.). None of these was expected to be able

                         to  deal  with  an  attack  by  German  Dreadnought-type  battleships  whose  12”  guns
                         would enable them to stand offshore and bombard Simon’s Town out of range of

                         the shore batteries.


                        A wireless station capable of long-distance communication with the Royal Navy at

                         sea was opened at Slangkop in March 1911. Nearby the lighthouse begun in 1913
                         was completed in 1914 but switched on only in 1919. Construction of the new Cape

                         Point lighthouse started in April 1914 but it, too, was switched on only in 1919.
   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13