Page 5 - Bulletin 11 2007
P. 5

2





                  Although  war  arrived  unexpectedly  the  Cape  was  not  entirely  defenceless.  Since  1806
                  Britain had had a presence at the Cape in the form of a warship squadron, an army garrison,

                  associated  strong  points,  and  linking  lines  of  communication.  The  Castle,  Wynberg
                  Military Camp, and Simon’s Town were the key elements of what was known in military

                  circles as “The Cape Fortress”.


                  Since 1890, in particular, five important developments, many with overt military purposes

                  and others with military utility in times of conflict, had been underway in the southern part
                  of the Fortress:



                        The railway extension from Kalk Bay reached Simon’s Town on 1 December 1890.
                         It is clear from the speeches made at the sod-turning ceremony in Kalk Bay on 7

                         November 1889, and at the completion ceremony in Simon’s Town a year later, that
                         its  raison  d’etre  was  military.  Troops  and  material  could  now  be  moved  freely

                         between Cape Town, Wynberg and Simon’s Town and the naval base was no longer

                         isolated and vulnerable to attack.


                        The  Cape  Government  passed  the  “Simon’s  Town  Naval  Defence  Act”  in  1898.

                         Amongst  other things, it authorized the  Admiralty to  construct  a dockyard there.
                         (Coincidentally, in 1898 Admiral Tirpitz, the German Secretary of State, introduced

                         the Navy Estimates which launched the accelerated modernization and expansion of
                         the  German  Navy  and  set  Germany  and  Britain  on  a  naval  arms  race.)  Sir  John

                         Jackson’s tender was accepted on 27 July 1900, excavations began in January 1901,
                         the foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Selborne on 15 November 1906, and

                         the  completion  stone  by  the  Duke  of  Connaught  on  3  November  1910.  (Read,

                         1995).  The  dry-dock  was  made  large  enough  to  accommodate  the  Dreadnought
                         battleships,  the  first  of  which  had  been  launched  in  1906,  which  had  rendered
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10