Page 10 - Bulletin 12 2008
P. 10

7





                  During  the  ensuing  years  numerous  operators  vied  for  the  limited  custom  along  this
                  route  and  with  mixed  fortunes.  William  Brown,  having  parted  with  Norkett,  tried  to

                  continue this passenger and postal service to Kalk Bay and Simon's Town on his own by
                  operating on the days not appropriated by Melville. In April 1848 Henry Green, who

                  was proprietor of the British Hotel at Simon's Town and who had been Melville's agent

                  there, offered an afternoon service from Cape Town three times a week, returning the
                  following morning. He was successful in outbidding both Melville and Brown for the

                  Royal Mail contract at the end of the year and in February 1849 Brown gave up after
                  failing to regain the contract.


                  However, Green's tender must have been too low and he withdrew from this side of the

                  business and so the contract returned to Melville who retained it for a further ten years.

                  But Melville’s passenger service left much to be desired. In 1854 a correspondent to De
                  Zuid-Afrikaan  wrote:  “Let  them  look  at  the  conveyance  between  Cape  Town  and

                  Simon's Town, a distance of only 22 miles, where passengers are obliged to pay seven

                  shillings  and  sixpence  for  a  seat  in  a  miserable  jolting  old  cart.”  (Translated  into
                  English.)


                  Various  other  omnibus  operators  now  entered  the  scene.  In  October  1849  Thomas

                  Brady began a daily passenger mail carriage each way between Simon's Town, Kalk
                  Bay and Cape Town. The journey took three-and-a-half hours. In 1862 William Grout

                  introduced a daily service which he later that year increased to twice daily. But when, in

                  1864,  the  railway  to  Wynberg  opened  all  omnibus  operators  –  Brady,  Grout,  and
                  Cutting and Boyce – ran their services between the railhead and Simon’s Town only. In

                  this year a new operator, R. Hayes, commenced a passenger cart from Wynberg to Kalk
                  Bay and Simon's Town, so the area was very well served.


                  About  this  time,  Mrs  Louisa  Ross,  wife  of  Dr  William  Ross,  wrote  in  her  dairy  on

                  Thursday 27 February 1862 about taking one of Cutting’s omnibuses to Kalk Bay for a

                  picnic:
   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15